Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Kinda Cliched but oh well...

I thought I'd start out this blog with a discussion of just how crazy this spring weather has been this year. Here in Ohio (zone 5b) we are going for the record of the wettest April yet. So far this is the 4th wettest on record and we still have some rainy days to go. Crop planting statistics are not so hot this year

 "As of Sunday April 24, corn was 1 percent planted, which was 38 percent behind last year and 13 percent behind the five-year average.  Winter wheat was 28 percent jointed, which was 27 percent behind last year and 10 percent behind the five-year average.  Fifteen percent of the oats were planted, compared to 84 percent last year and 58 percent for the five-year average.  Oats emerged were 4 percent, 20 percent behind last year and 13 percent behind the five-year average.  Potatoes planted were 3 percent, compared to 39 percent last year and 25 percent for the five-year average" USDA-NASS

Seeing how bad farmers have it makes me feel a little better about my own garden being unworked and resembling a nothing more than a giant muddy swamp. At least I know it's not just me.

This time last year half the garden was seeded.

I did get flats of tomatoes, peppers, tomatillos,  and leeks started for my veggie garden.

I also seeded English Lavender (lavendula angustiflolia) "ellagance ice" "ellagance purple" " ellagance sky" "blue scent" and "lavance purple", Sea Lavender, Crimson Spotted Bellflower (campanula punctata 'Rubrifloria'), Delphinium, Veronica, Butterfly Bush, Rudibeckia 'cappuccino, and Gaillardia "amber wheels" "Arizona Apricot" "Arizona Red Shades" and "Arizona Sun".

I have more yet to seed but I am afraid the wind will catch my cold frame lid like it did last week and ruin my seedlings. I need to get a fastener for it.

Has anyone else gotten anything done?

I did get some of my flowerbed redesign started. I will try and post some pics of the progress so far. I should have took a before shot because it is already vastly improved over the original and I have only been working on it for two days.
I re-sculpted the border of the bed so that it is curved rather then a rectangular. It is amazing how much that helped the look of it. I added two climbing roses and two azaleas so it would have some structure and height interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome.